Signs and Symptoms of Addiction
If you or your loved one are dealing with addiction, it can be hard to know where to start. But if addiction issues are affecting your health or peace of mind, then it might be time to look closer.
Alcohol and drug use problems range from mild to severe. They can start with a small amount of using or drinking every so often, and grow to compulsive or daily consumption just as a way to manage withdrawal symptoms.
Some common signs of problematic alcohol or substance use are;
- Difficult to cut down or stop using.
- Continued use despite harmful consequences.
- Consumption increases in amount and frequency over time.
- Preoccupation with the addiction. Much of the day is spent planning or looking forward to drinking or using.
- Increasing isolation and loss of interest in hobbies and/or socializing.
- Withdrawal symptoms such as, moodiness, agitation, shakiness, nausea, tremors.
Addiction can affect every aspect of your life: your health, your job, your relationships, your finances. Getting help is key in moving forward. It is hard to make changes without support but we are here to help. Recovery is a personal journey and slips are to be expected. Learning about your specific triggers will enable you to make connections between your thoughts and feelings, and develop healthy coping mechanisms.
If someone you love is affected by alcohol and drug use, it can affect you as well. As addiction takes over their life, it interferes more and more in their relationships and ability maintain their responsibilities. Worrying about their health, you might be neglecting your own needs and well-being.
While addiction is generally associated with alcohol or substances, it can also include problematic videogame use and gambling. These too have an impact on both the individual and their loved ones.
Reach out today for a no-fee consultation to learn more about how we can help with any of these concerns.